By: Delfin T. Mallari Jr. – @inquirerdotnet
Inquirer Southern Luzon / 08:02 AM July 25, 2017
Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison denied Monday President Duterte’s claim that he had colon cancer and instead dared the President to reveal his health condition to the Filipino people.
“It is Duterte who has to explain his disappearances for medical reasons because the public is entitled to know everything that pertains to his suitability for public office,” Sison said in a statement sent to the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Monday night.
Last month, Duterte was not seen in public for several days and had no official engagements, sparking speculation that he was seriously ill.
But Malacañang said he was “just resting.” The President also dismissed rumors that he was sick, saying he only stayed in bed.
Sison, who is in exile in The Netherlands, said Duterte’s claim that he was sick was “a blatant lie”.
He admitted that early this year he was confined for a month in the Rheumatology Department of the Utrecht University Medical Center. However, he was released with a clean bill of health on March 20 after three weeks of diagnosis and treatment and a week of medical observation.
He said he was treated “in connection with rheumatoid arthritis and skin allergy for the following symptoms: low auto-immunity level during the cold months of autumn and winter, lack of appetite, loss of weight, skin allergy, pains on the joints, etc.”
“No findings of cancer of any kind, cardiac problem or any other malignancy which is life threatening,” he said.
Sison reiterated that his age or physical condition was not a public issue.
“Duterte himself is an old man at 72. I am only six years older than him. So what is the public issue?” he said.
According to Sison, he is physically and mentally strong and “trying hard as NDFP (National Democratic Front of the Philippines) chief political consultant” to help in the peace negotiation, “which had been scuttled by Duterte.” CBB